Monday, August 24, 2009

Some recent activities, thoughts

Photo of a rock face in Peruver Canyon, in the Caribou region of British Columbia.

Its been a while since I posted anything, had a busy week after returning from vacation. This last week I spent some time editing more photos from my trip, as I often find that it helps to step away from what I've taken and come back to it later to get the best results. I also picked up a new external disk for additional photo and video storage, with the prices of 1TB drives being so low (picked one up for $79 Cdn on sale), its a no brainier to do so. In fact it cost me more to get the external case I put the drive in (one that supports, FW800/400, eSATA and USB2), than the drive itself. I still remember getting my first 120GB drive 8 years ago, thinking it was so big, and it cost just over $200 Cdn at the time. The external was something I knew I needed for some time, as my personal photo library expanded by over 30GB in the last year and I don't like to just have one backup considering that nature of hard disc drives.

Now on to photography. I know many people who talk about getting into photography slumps during the winter, but I think I've gotten into one this summer, as the subjects that I like to shoot the most, migratory birds, are mostly around in late fall and early spring. Due to this I've been finding it hard to motivate myself to go out on photo expeditions, the heat wave that hit the area last month didn't help either. I am rather looking forward to fall, for the colours in the trees, the wintering birds, and the cooler weather. I went out to photograph the sunset a few times last week, but evening clouds blocked it, which left me feeling a little disappointed as well. I'm not sure what was more disappointing, the lack of a good sunset or the fact that I've been struggling to find a subject I like to really test out my new Tokina 12-24mm lens. Thankfully during the labour day weekend there is a large car show, which I think will provide a good opportunities to test out the abilities of the Tokina.

No comments:

Post a Comment