Friday, October 30, 2009

Look Down, There is Another World

One of the Fallen

There are many areas of the world that go ignored by the average person, and for that matter the average photographer. One of those areas that can easily be missed is what is right below you. Not to say that everything on the ground is interesting, but every now and then you stumble upon a leaf or something else on the ground that captures your attention. Do not ignore captivating objects just because of the dirt on which the subject might be sitting.

For example, the photo I posted in today's blog, a maple leaf on my driveway. I took this photo a few weeks ago, but nine times out of ten I would ignore a leaf that had fallen on my driveway, unless I was using the leaf blower to remove it. In fact, I was clearing the driveway of leaves, pine needles and other such things the day I took the photo. This bright red maple leaf caught my attention though, so I ran into the house and grabbed my camera. I think what caught my attention most was the contrast between the hardness of mans world and the gentle, organic simplicity of the leaf was too hard to ignore.

Objects on the ground, often ignored can be powerful tools for showing the difference between two things, such as I noted with my own photo. Of course there is a lot more on the surface than just leaves and other debris. If you find macro photography interesting there is plenty of life to be found on the ground. Some subjects, like insects, could be a challenge to capture if they are on the move. Then again, accepting a challenge and overcoming it can be one of the most rewarding parts of photography, so give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment