Thursday, March 18, 2010

Finding Old Gems

I've been spending some time looking back at some of my shots from a few years ago, when I got my first DSLR, a D80, and I've been finding some nice images, that just need a little bit of tweaking to make them good. In keeping with my last photo related entry, this older photo from 2008, holds interest not just due to the leading lines created by the power poll, but also by the thin clouds that are hovering thousands of feet above it.

Nikon D80, Nikon 18-70mm F3.5-4.5G ED DX, 27mm, ISO400, @F10

I have found that by reprocessing and editing these photos today, with the knowledge of nearly two years working with Aperture, I can come up with a lot better results than I did when I first processed them. In some ways this photo does not work with the standard, "rules" of photography, and in other ways it does, in any case I like the photo and that is what matters. Don't forget to go back and look through your old photos, because if you find something you like, you might be able to make it even better with knowledge that you have now. 
Another reason to look at older photos is that doing so can remind you how much fun it can be to shoot a wider range of subjects. When I first starting using my D80 I shot everything that I could, but as time went on I started to focus on some subjects more than others. By going back it is helping me remember the benefit of looking outside the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment