Monday, July 19, 2010

An Outing: Cascade Falls Re-Visited

Cascade Creek

Today I revisited Cascade Falls, although most of the photos I took were of the creek under the falls themselves, such as in today's photo. The water level's in Cascade creek were lower than during my visit in February, as expected, so I was able to walk out in the creek bed. I used a number of techniques to get the best dynamic range out of my shots, including using multiple exposures. I was forced to use such techniques since I was unable to shoot under golden  hour light. Shooting at mid-day during the middle of summer can be a bit of a challenge in terms of getting a good exposure, but with some experimentation and some post processing I was able to achieve the results that I was looking for.

I did most of my shooting from a tripod, with my Tokina 12-24mm at various focal lengths, and fully stopped down. This made for some softness, due to diffraction, so I may revisit this location again, hopefully under better conditions where I can get longer exposures without having to stop the lens down as much. With the Tokina 12-24mm diffraction kicks in past F10 with a 12MP sensor. In fact I've found that I get the best images at around F5.6, but for most of the landscapes I like to photograph that isn't enough depth of field, so that is just something I'll have to live with.

In Saturday's post I mentioned that I would talk more about overcoming perceived weaknesses in lower end camera today, but I think I'll hold off on that for a few more days.

No comments:

Post a Comment