Monday, July 12, 2010

Slow Week

This time of year is not the best for photographing at my usual locations, between the heat and long days it has been tough getting any good shots. I was out this morning and came home without a single usable image. After last weeks heat wave, today was extremely windy on the coast, and that seems to be keeping the birds in the thicker brush. There are plenty of Tree and Barn Swallows about, but not much else of interest. The little Swallows are almost impossible to shoot unless they are perched on a branch or nest, and the light wasn't very good today, so no shots of them either. I didn't even see the family of Sandhill Cranes today, which surprised me, but that might mean that the young Crane may be capable of flying now. I feel like the Heron in today's shot, which is from last week, just taking things slowly right now.

A Leery Hunter

I think next Monday I'll be taking my D300 and 300mm F4 AF-S into Nikon for a checkup, because I want them to be in full working order for when the fall migration season arrives. I figure the camera and lens will be out of service for a few weeks, based on previous experience with Nikon service, so I'll have to fall upon my backups. So that would mean my F90x, and a D40x, with me favoring the F90x for bird photography, if I even attempt to do any. I'm not sure I'll be heading out to the bird sanctuary very often again until mid to late August, since the amount of active birds in the area drops off at this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment