Thursday, June 2, 2011

How Do I Go Green As A Photographer?

Yesterday I musing over the idea of how I could be more environmentally friendly as a photographer, but didn't get very far in terms of what I could do to achieve that. For me the primary issue is the amount of driving that I do as a photographer, which in a sense could be helping to destroy the subjects that I love to photograph. That isn't a nice thought to ponder, considering how much I love to travel and explore. Exploring would be nearly impossible without driving, at least to some extent.

If I had the money to do so I would invest in an electric car or at the very least a hybrid, but they are simply out of my budget for the foreseeable future. A possible solution would be to only take photos within the range that I could ride a bicycle or walk, but I feel as though that would be very limiting. At the same time, limiting myself to those modes of transport would be a small step in the right direction. I read a newspaper article about a local bird photographer who made that same choice over the last few years and it doesn't seem to be hurting his work.

I might have to challenge myself to only walk or ride a bike to shooting locations for a month and see what happens. Of course that would only be a useful solution for hobby shooting, paid gigs will still require vehicular transport due to distances involved.


No comments:

Post a Comment