Thursday, October 13, 2011

Eureka Falls (POTD October 13)


Eureka Falls is located a few minutes up the road from Silver Lake, which I mentioned a few times last week. I love the way this little waterfall cuts through the hillside down into Silver Creek, but I did find framing this image to be a little tough. There are a lot of tree branches sticking out over the river from the bank I was shooting from, which was the primary source of trouble. If the current of Silver Creek wasn't so strong, I would have liked to shoot from in the creek itself to try and overcome this problem. Another solution would have been tighter shots of different parts of the falls, which I might try if I shoot this location again. The only reason I didn't try that was due to the failing light, and I wanted to get some shots at Silver Lake itself before dusk.

1 comment:

  1. This is exactly the problem I've had when there previously. The first time the branches were in my way and being spring, the river was roaring and I wasn't going near it. I bet the river levels are higher this fall than they usually are, due to late snow runoff. Last time I was there I took no wide shots of the falls but used my 70-200 to get some of the details. I like this composition a lot. Glad to see the dead tree is no longer at the base of the falls.

    ReplyDelete