Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Snowy Pathway


Last Wednesday the Greater Vancouver area had its' first substantial snowfall, and although the 2cm of snow that fell was rather insignificant, it caused a fair bit of trouble in the region. The new Portmann Bridge, which opened at the beginning of the month, was a sore spot, because as the temperature rose later in the day, ice began to fall from the support cables. The falling ice forced the bridge to be closed by the highway service, as cars were being damaged. Hopefully the highway ministry can find ways to prevent this from happening in the future, or the new bridge will always have to be closed when snowy weather occurs.

Thankfully I was able to avoid most of the road troubles, and visited to one of my favourite parks near home in the morning, before the rain started around noon. By the time I arrived on the location of this shot, snow was melting from the trees, so I had to keep an eye on how much water was building up on top of my D700 and 24-70mm F2.8G. A quick wipe with my gloves from time to time and all was well. Thankfully there was still snow on the trees, otherwise I think the area would have been a little drab. On the photography front, due to the wide dynamic range in the scene, I manually bracketed a few shots and made an HDR file later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment