Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Wednesday Commentary: When Everything Clicks

Have you ever had one of those moments as a photographer when everything comes together? You know what I mean, the light is right, your settings are perfect, and you are in the right place to take advantage of all those things. The question is, are you putting yourself into a position often enough to have that happen on a regular basis?



In my experience most of the opportunities to make the most interesting images happen when I put myself in the right position, rather than by chance. A planned position can result in something you don't expect, often far out weighing chance encounters. Choose to be in the right place, and you can't miss if you stay there long enough! Keep in mind, you cannot be in the right place at the right time if you aren't there!

The next question is, how do you know if you are in the right place? Do some research, find out if the subjects you enjoy photographing are common in an area that you can easily visit on a regular basis. An additional advantage of shooting at the same locations on a regular basis is you get to know what to expect, that way you can have all your settings and compositions in mind before you even set out.

The image of the Cranes is a perfect example of knowing where the right place to be is. I have visited the bird sanctuary where this was taken hundreds of times (literally), so I got to know where the cranes go with their young. All I had to do was wait for them to come to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment