Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Great Horned Owl


Great Horned Owls are beautiful birds, and I enjoy photographing them when the opportunity arises. These are my first shots of one in 2014, since my previous visits to known haunts of these birds proved to be less than fruitful. 


While I was at the location, there were a number of other bird photographers around, some of whom carried out some less than ethical behavior towards the owl. A few minutes after I took the first image, the Great Horned owl started to fall asleep, which apparently bothered one photographer, who went out of his way to make lots of noise (clapping hands, and whistling) to keep the bird awake so he could get more shots. He must have taken a few hundred shots in the 15-20 minutes I was near him, but I guess those were not good enough.

Since this bird was in the George C. Reifel Bird Sanctuary, where such behavior towards birds is prohibited (by Federal Law), I asked the photographer to stop. This photographer said he did care about the rules, but did not make any more noise to disturb the owl while I was near him.

No comments:

Post a Comment