Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The first day, some thoughts and an introduction



Never really thought I would get into blogging, but over time I've come to realize the value of doing so. With that being the case, here we go, my first blog post!

Since photography is a hobby and passion of mine, I thought I would make a blog centered around my experiences, both in terms of locations to take photos, new techniques that I lean from others and ideas that I come up with on my own. I have been interested in photography since I was 7 years old, but I have only been interested in the more technical aspects of photography for the last few years. Just to give you a brief idea of what my photography background, I'll give a summery of my experience.

When I was very young my father had a 35mm film SLR (Nikon FE) and because I wanted to be like him, one Christmas I was given a throw away camera, from which point taking pictures was something I enjoyed doing, and I could use a roll of film rather quickly if I wanted to! My second camera was RIOCH AF-77, a small film point and shoot camera that I was given as a Christmas present a few years later. Due to the price of film there were only a few occasions that I took very many pictures though. One such experience was when my family took a summer to drive across Canada, from British Columbia all the way to Newfoundland. During that trip I took well over 300 pictures, which was a first for me, and it seemed like a lot of pictures, since I was only 13 at the time. That little camera severed me till 2003 when I purchased my first digital camera, a Kodak 4MP point and shoot camera. What a change from film, instant results, no need to buy film or worry about running out of exposures, the 500+ shots, and the ability to make videos that I could get on my 1GB card was far better than the 24 or 36 exposures I got on film.

I used that first camera digital camera for a number of years as I was rather satisfied with the image quality, but by the time 2007 rolled around that little 4MP camera was starting to show its age. In the year that followed I owned three different cameras, a 7MP Kodak, which I was very disappointed in, and then a Canon S5 IS. I liked the Canon in terms of flexibility and zoom range, but I found that its low light shooting ability was rather poor. The S5 IS did serve me well during a trip down to northern California during the summer of 2008, although I often found that the lens just wasn't wide enough to get the shots I wanted. So in the fall of 2008 I bought my first digital SLR, a Nikon D80 with the 18-70mm kit lens. That is the end of my summery on cameras I've owned. Next time I'll post more on what I have learned about photography as an art form.

No comments:

Post a Comment