Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Problem Solved and Other Thoughts

On Monday I posted about the trouble I was having with my Compact Flash (CF) card reader, so I thought I'd post a quick follow up. Today I picked up a USB3 Sandisk ImageMate and all my cards are working fine. The reader itself seems a little faster than the USB2 version, even though I am still connecting it via USB2 on my 2011 27" iMac.


I'm going to have a bit of photography down time for a while, because I took my D700 into Nikon for sensor cleaning and a checkup to make sure everything is working smoothly. I'll still be shooting when I can, but until the D700 is back in my hands I think it is a good time to take a break and give my creative juices a rest.

On another note, I'm going to be hanging onto the D700, not upgrading to the D800. I have a few good reasons, first the slow frame rate (4FPS or 5FPS in DX crop) is not very conducive for wildlife shooting. Secondly, as much as I would love to have the resolution of the D800, it would give lots of room to crop wildlife shots, I doubt the high ISO image quality will match the D700 (without downsampling). I wish Nikon would offer sRAW (small RAW) like Canon does. If you could shoot at 25MP full frame and get a faster burst rate that would be great. I would also have to replace my spare EN-EL3e batteries, get larger memory cards, a new grip etc. Not something that I could fit into my budget, considering I have other goals, such as saving for a better birding lens (300mm F2.8G VRII + TC20E III). I can only assume Nikon wants to push action/wildlife shooters up to the D4, or down to the yet to be announced D400. If I shot landscapes more often, upgrading to the D800 would be a no brainer, but I don't so it isn't practical.

If a D400 does appear I could see myself going that route, if the camera offers enough speed and doesn't push too many megapixels. I say that because the 24MP CMOS sensor that rumors have pointed to finding a home in the said camera isn't that great IMO. That 24MP sensor is currently used in the Sony A77 and NEX-7, and to be honest, short of the ISO100-800 range I'm not too impressed. Of course, like the D800 one could down sample and hope to reduced noise that way.

1 comment: