Monday, June 25, 2012

A Word From The Wise

After reading a recent article by Thom Hogan I thought I'd share it with you, along with some of my own thoughts on the matter.


In many ways Thom's writing in that post is a rehash of the now much overused saying by Chase Jarvis, "The best camera is the one you have with you." That being said, Thom makes some great points, particularly when he notes that every great photo you've seen has been taken by a photographer, with a camera and lens combination that exists today or from the past. I understand the desire for better gear, because I still have it from time to time. Does that mean I'm going to stop shooting with what I have at hand? No! In fact, what it really means is that I still need to learn to get the most from what I have already.

I know some photographers might want to jump in and say, you have high end camera gear so it is easy for you to say that. True, some of the photographers you'll meet who say that the best equipment you have is what you have now, do have expensive gear. I'll counter that argument with ease, because I can tell you from experience that the gear does not make photos, you do. From my point of view some of the photos I enjoy the most were taken with a 4 megapixel Kodak, or a Ricoh 35mm film point and shoot. The point is, shoot with what you have and make the most of it, rather than worrying about the next camera or lens that might be coming. If you need to step up to something better to make the images you want, so be it, but don't let that hold you back in the mean time.

No comments:

Post a Comment