Friday, November 19, 2010

Banff and Jasper Trip Part 10: Icefields Highway Part 3

Earlier posts about my Banff and Jasper trip (Pt 1, Pt 2, Pt 3, Pt 4, Pt 5, Pt 6, Pt 7, Pt 8, Pt 9).

Following the stop at the Athabasca Glacier I drove south into Banff National Park, with my first stop coming just south of the boundary between Jasper National Park and Banff National Park.

Mt.Athabasca From The South

As you head south from Mt.Athabasca the Icefields highway drops down into the Saskatchewan River valley.


One interesting place to stop along the way down the valley is at the Weeping Wall, which is the name of a natural rock-face on the side of the highway. 


From the same rest stop you can also walk down to the edge of the Saskatchewan River, and look up or down the valley. The photo below was taken while facing north.


There are several other viewpoints along the way south, with similar views of the Saskatchewan River valley, before the river heads east.


In my next entry I'll be covering the remaining stops that I made along the Icefields highway, including Mistaya Canyon and Peyto Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment