Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Upgrading to Mac OS 10.7 Lion

Today Apple released Mac OSX 10.7 (Lion) through the Mac App Store. I downloaded and installed Lion, which is a somewhat time consuming task (depending on your download speed), but only on my two year old 2.53Ghz C2D 13" MacBook Pro. I did that to make sure that everything was running smoothly before installing this major OS update on my primary work machine, a current generation 2.7Ghz Core i5 27" iMac.


I wanted to make sure I never have to waste bandwidth on downloading Lion again, so I burned a bootable 10.7 Install DVD (there are plenty of sites that will tell you how). After around four hours, between downloading, burning the disc, and installing, Lion was finally up and running on my notebook.

The good news for me is that I have not run into any software compatibility problems, at least not yet. People running older software might have issues, but I haven't used any PPC only software in several years now. As tempted as I am to rush and install Lion on my main machine, so that I can get used to the new OS more quickly, I don't want to risk bugs getting in the way of any of my current projects. As a result I'll be waiting, at least for a little while.

I wont be posting much about Lion, this is a photography blog, not a Apple fanboy site.

No comments:

Post a Comment