Monday, January 23, 2012

Finding A Feast (POTD January 23)


Pileated Woodpeckers have not been overly common visitors to the coast near Vancouver, but during the past few years the numbers of them that come into the region during winter seems to be increasing. Like the Barred Owl in Saturday's image, the cold weather has made them less weary of people; finding food has become far more important than fleeing from every person that comes close by. As a result it was easy for me to capture some images of several of these beautiful birds.

This particular Pileated Woodpecker was about 18ft from my position, and it was tough to get a pleasing composition with the 1.4x teleconverter mounted on my 300mm F4. I say that because the bird was almost too close to get the entire body in the frame. I had to back off, close to the edge of the dike to get the image I wanted. I could have captured a close up of the head, but I prefer full body shots, so that I can get some of the habitat in the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment